It has been an interesting couple of weeks. And that doesn’t even count my pitiful brackets.
I have been doing this sort of thing for 15 years now, in a variety of formats and hosts. I have enjoyed the hell out of it. I discovered some time back that when you express your opinions, there will be people that disagree. Over the years, I have heard from a lot. 95% of those who did, did so in a congenial manner. I found it quite amusing, and enjoyed the banter that went back and forth. Then there is the other 5%.
Disagreement with my opinions doesn’t faze me in the least; everybody is entitled to their opinions and I have had the benefit of quite the forums to express mine. I am aware that there are people who don’t agree, neither with my sports or political thinking. I rather enjoy discussing those disagreements with folks who regard them as disagreements, not as reasons to go to war.
Some of those who took umbrage with what I have written have expressed themselves in amusing ways. There was the Syracuse fan back in 2001 who determined that Tech being chosen over his lovelies for the Gator Bowl constituted the worst outrage ever perpetrated in college sports and was not shy in e-mailing me those feelings. Then there was the Georgia Tech fan who felt compelled to remind me a number of times that both John Heisman and Bobby Dodd were excellent coaches. Gee, who knew?
The Cousins are in a class by themselves. I bet few reading this have ever had their picture plastered across a WVU message board with my phone number attached. I was surprised at the numbers of Cousins who knew how to operate telephones. The digital age has reached even West Virginia!
I have been cherneyed by the best in the business, including Cherney, who was determined, through e-mail after e-mail after e-mail, that I understood that Hank Thorns was the best point guard ever to grace the Cassell. Since I long ago relegated his e-mails to my kill file, I am not sure how he feels these days.
I have been blasted all across various message boards by people hiding behind anonymous nicks who lacked the testicular fortitude to sign their names to their posts, as I have done for everything I have ever written. Most reading are aware of the contempt I hold for such cowards.
For the most part, these expressions of contention have not bothered me in the slightest. It comes with the territory.
That is changing. Apparently with the times. Disagreement is no longer confined to e-mails, message board posts, or even humorous bar insults. There are those circulating among us who regard any deviation from their strongly-held beliefs as reason to strike back in any way possible. The ‘any way possible’ part seems to not include the more rational forms of communication. As I have discovered.
I am not a fan of NIT Seth Greenberg. That very likely does not come as a surprise to most reading this. I regard him as a fast-talking hustler who has accomplished nothing in his 20-year career as a head basketball coach other than creating expectations he never achieves. That has certainly been his history at Tech, as it was at Long Beach and South Florida. NIT Seth talks big, but never quite delivers. I have been following ACC basketball for a long time and have seen the likes of NIT Seth in the league before. 20 years later, NC State is still trying to get over one.
That is a minority view. NIT Seth has conned his way into a raise based on 3 straight appearances in the secondary tournament that his history teaches is his coaching level.Despite his maintaining the level he hit in his second year, he is quite popular among Hokies, especially the younger ones who perhaps lack the wisdom [old age] of the long view. Once again, jimmy did not request my input when it came to athletic departmental decisions. So it goes.
What does not go is the methods employed by at least one who disagrees with my assessment of NIT Seth. This gentleman has gone so far as to discover my phone number and call me over and over [16 hours at the moment and counting] relating numerous threats to my person. While I am aware that the loon calling is probably too chicken-shit to actually follow up on his talk [yeah, I'm talking to you, asshole], it gets tiresome. Where does Tech find all of these people?
While there still remains a Final Four and Spring Game between now and the Dead Zone, I am weary. This will be the last quasi-regular post between now and the Boise State game. There may be the occasional musing during the spring and summer, but I am really tired of listening to the phone ring.